Sunday, August 8, 2010

Kitchen Re-do

We have a U-shaped kitchen, and it's pretty tiny. When two adults are in there trying to cook, clean, or just grab a drink, it's hard not to run into one another. Things got especially crowded when you tried to throw in another person* or complete large tasks, like getting ready for a big party.

To help open things up and provide much needed counter and cabinet space, we decided to knock out a wall.

This wall:
This view is from standing with my back to the kitchen sink. To my right is the fridge, to the left is the dishwasher and stove/oven. The door on the right in the picture is to our pantry. It desperately needs a makeover. That is a task for another day.

Another view:
In this shot you can into the dining room. It's the room through the doorframe on the left. Straight ahead, past the fridge, is one entrance into our big living area. It used to be a two-car garage but the previous owners converted it.

Here is the dining room side of the wall. You can see the entrance into the kitchen area on the right. Technically our dining room is the living room (because technically the living room was a garage), and there is another dining spot next to the kitchen. It's a small little table that nestles so nicely next to our bay window.

And there, the last shot of the wall before it is history....


*Speaking of another person...our household has doubled recently! Not only did we welcome our baby girl three weeks ago, but Mr Oh's brother moved in. He'll live with us while he's going to school this year.

2 comments:

  1. so mr oh's husband moved in huh? I guess we know who's really the third wheel.

    -rwt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, oops! Clearly I meant brother. And I really thought having a newborn wasn't making me sleep-deprived or loopy. I'll correct my error tomorrow when I can get to the desktop, unless I can figure out how on my phone tonight...

    ReplyDelete