Saturday, August 14, 2010

Favorite Things: IKEA Expedit

Last night, when the baby was sleeping oh-so-nicely, and I couldn't seem to doze off, I made lists of things to blog about it. Unfortunately all of those ideas require photos I haven't taken or time I don't seem to have right now.

But as I was doing a little housecleaning this afternoon and evening, I saw all these things in my house that I love. A tea towel that hangs by my kitchen sink. The painting my brother-in-law created for our dining room. Two vacation photos blown up to poster size that hang in the living room. I thought I could make posts about my favorite things in my house...


The first large piece of furniture I have ever bought was an IKEA Expedit. They are one of the kings of bookcases. Just google image search it and see how versatile the storage options are.

I bought the Expedit before Mr Oh and I were even married, and he was the lucky one who got to live with it until our wedding day. (He also was the unlucky one who assembled it.)

This random old post shows the Expedit in our old place. There it held mostly books and a lot of dust. That is still pretty much its purpose in our current house.

Tonight I dusted about half of the thing. Although, first I dusted its entire little brother, which serves as our TV stand.

As much as I love our big Expedit, I doubt it will move on with us to our next house (whenever that may be). One, it was a pain to move. Once assembled, a lot of people do not recommend disassembling it for moving because it could affect it's stability. Two, as great as it is for storage, I'm not currently a great storager...meaning, it usually holds books that don't get read and picture frames that collect dust. Maybe someday I will use it more...usefully, but if not, I'll be fine with leaving the clutter behind.

The Expedit is one of my favorite things because it was my first big furniture purchase, it's from IKEA (which my husband describes as an amusement park with furniture), and it's tall - like me.


3 comments:

  1. I like your Expedit, too. And I like the Mr. Oh's description of IKEA. Let's go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't really mean to say THE Mr. Oh. Don't tell his dad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet once Mary starts playing with lots of toys you can make good use of basket organizers in your Expedit.

    ReplyDelete